Position: Officer, Measurement & Evaluation
Type: Full Time
NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society. With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scale. Through building impactful partnerships and programmes, NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement — all grounded in learning science — to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential.
Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe. NewGlobe’s high-touch, intensive professional development programs, along with integrated school management, teacher support, and assessment software, enable schools to succeed. NewGlobe works within state and national curriculum and syllabi, ensuring all children are empowered to learn their own history, and master local content, while being globally competitive in mathematics and languages. The science of behaviour change and the science of learning is at the foundation of all programming. NewGlobe works with urgency because youth quickly becomes adulthood and relentlessly because improvement requires continuous problem-solving. NewGlobe is honoured to serve and to help rebuild trust in public systems. NewGlobe’s work is all encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe — a more equitable globe — to join us.
Measurement & Evaluation
The Measurement & Evaluation team collaborates across departments to help leaders assess the quality of teaching and learning. We work to answer the core questions of “How well are we doing?” and “Are we getting better?” We blend quantitative analyses with qualitative field work to measure what matters most, provide feedback to school leaders and managers, assess our impact on student learning, and communicate the results to various internal and external audiences.
At the heart of our work is comparative analysis. We compare student learning across time and place. We examine how much faster our students learn than their peers in similar schools. We examine how student performance today compares to student performance yesterday. We examine sub-groups of students to advance equity. We examine variability across our schools to determine which characteristics matter most to student learning. We help managers assess the impact of the changes they have made to accelerate learning.
We take pride in providing rigorous measurement, study design, and analysis. We also take pride in our ability to communicate clearly in words, tables, and data visualizations. We intend our work to make a difference in how managers and our government partners think and act. We judge our own work accordingly.
Collaboration sits at the heart of M&E. We collaborate with our internal team members as well as with our government partners. With every product, we enter into a collaborative conversation with those who operate and those who study. M&E has established deep partnerships with the education ministries, with local research organizations, and with international researchers who focus on teaching and learning, especially those who focus on the aspects of schooling most relevant to the students we serve.
About the Role
We are seeking a full-time M&E Officer to join our team, someone eager to share their expertise and build upon a tradition of measurement & evaluation excellence at NewGlobe. The successful candidate will support the Director of Measurement and Evaluation to develop the M&E plan, collect data, analyse data, and produce reports for NewGlobe. To be successful in this role you will ideally have experience in the planning, coordination and administration of data collection, analysis and reporting with a focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
Besides leading routine data collections that are part of our main impact evaluations, the M&E Manager will support additional data collection, both quantitative and qualitative, as required by the team. They will conduct interviews, focus groups, and case studies; and they will often be in charge of synthesizing and writing their findings.
The data collection exercises where the M&E Officer will work often take place within our Nigerian territories (EdoBEST in Edo State, EKOEXCEL in Lagos State, KwaraLEARN in Kwara State, Bridge Academies in Lagos and Osun states, BayelsaPRIME in Bayelsa State and in future launches in other states). As such, travel is required for the position.
The M&E Officer will report directly to the Regional Director of Measurement and Evaluation.
What You Will Do
- Under guidance of the M&E Director, support preparation and implementation of baseline, midline, end-line assessments, including tools development and identification of gaps
- Regular data collection for monitoring indicators developed as part of the M&E Plan
- Assist in administration of Early Grade Reading and Math Assessments (EGRA and EGMA), as needed
- Contribute to the development of survey tools as required
- Assist in the analysis of quantitative and qualitative data
- Assist with the preparation of information, reports and presentations
- Assist and assess student participation and achievement in classes
- Assess effectiveness of teacher training programs
- Supervise a team of hired data enumerators and delegate work to them
- To make sure that any data collected is analysed and feedback given for improved programming
- Ensure that key indicators are tracked and consolidated on a regular basis and report shared to programme staff
- Participate in design of data collection tools
- Conduct data analysis to inform programme implementation and to contribute to wider organizational activity trends
- Ensure proper management and storage of data
What You Should Have
- The candidate should hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in education, social sciences, psychology, statistics, international development, development studies or a related field.
- Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) experience required, including using M&E data analysis and tracking systems, data management and data collection experience. Additional experience in conducting research, surveys, and any other data collection is an asset.
- Good understanding of monitoring tools
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel, databases
- Familiarity with large datasets
- Strong data analysis skills required
- Ability to supervise data enumerators
- Ability to work in a team setting required
- Strong written and oral communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity as well as exemplary diplomatic, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience and skills in quantitative and qualitative research methods would be an added advantage
- Knowledge of data visualization software, such as Tableau Desktop or PowerBi would be an added advantage
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience,
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.