Position: Manager, Policy and Partnership
Company: Bridge Nigeria
Type: Full Time
Who We Are
NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society.
With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scale. Through building impactful partnerships and programmes, NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement — all grounded in learning science — to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe.
NewGlobe’s high-touch, intensive professional development programs, along with integrated school management, teacher support, and assessment software, enable schools to succeed. NewGlobe works within state and national curriculum and syllabi, ensuring all children are empowered to learn their own history, and master local content, while being globally competitive in mathematics and languages. The science of behaviour change and the science of learning is at the foundation of all programming.
NewGlobe works with urgency because youth quickly becomes adulthood and relentlessly because improvement requires continuous problem-solving. NewGlobe is honoured to serve and to help rebuild trust in public systems.
NewGlobe’s work is all encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe — a more equitable globe — to join us.
NewGlobe is one of the most impactful organizations in Nigeria, leveraging a decade of learning science and software development to create schools where children thrive, and teachers are supported. Building upon a strong foundation of proven impact and transformation, we are looking to increase our service threefold in the upcoming years. Current programmes include EdoBEST, EKOEXCEL, and Bridge International Academies.
The EKO Excellence in Child Education and Learning programme is LASG’s statewide program to transform ECCDE and Primary education in all Lagos State government schools, bringing 21st Century education that is child-centred and enabled by modern practices and technology.
The programme is designed to empower and support public school teachers and to increase learning outcomes for children in the classroom. It represents the largest ever investment in Lagos state’s basic education system, and in doing so removing the economic limitations for the hundreds of thousands of pupils in the State’s public primary school system. Through training, supporting and motivating existing government teachers to succeed in their classrooms. The programme leverages technology, best practice and revised pedagogy to upskill government teachers and headteachers enabling them to drive improved learning outcomes for Lagos’ youth. This work delivers measurable results: children are learning 2x more in mathematics and 3x more in literacy than before!
The Edo State Government launched the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST) programme in 2018, to revolutionize basic education across the state. The programme is designed to deliver on the Governor’s core belief that ‘’once you get basic education right, everything else falls in place”.
EdoBEST recognizes that a strong educational foundation will launch its children into a future of success and takes this responsibility seriously. The programme uses a holistic approach that centers on scientifically-based learning materials, a data-driven model and continuous capacity building.
EdoBEST is on track to serve hundreds of thousands of children across all government primary and junior secondary schools in the state, improving their learning outcomes and their life opportunities. Critically, the program is also investing in the professional development of government teachers, school leaders and education managers; providing capacity building for thousands of civil servants.
Bridge International Academies
Bridge (or Bridge International Academies) partners with parents and communities to create powerful, transformative schools that guarantee that all pupils, regardless of their parents’ income or the language they speak at home, are supported in realizing their full potential, and can enjoy a gateway to success.
We create ‘community schools’ that provide life-changing education which transforms lives and opens the door to a successful future for our pupils. We do this by delivering academic excellence through accelerated learning, leadership skills development and providing a caring environment that supports growth.
Since opening our first schools in Ijegun and Ikorodu, Lagos in 2015, our pupils have continued to exceed expectations and excel. Pupils at Bridge Nigeria have consistently achieved top performance in the National Common Entrance Examinations, receiving merit scholarships at Lead-Forte Gate College and winning places at some of the top secondary schools in the country, including King’s and Queen’s college.
In joining NewGlobe, you will support each of our current and future programs in Nigeria, and join a group of dynamic and passionate Nigerians taking concrete action to help ensure a more prosperous future for all Nigerians.
The Strategy Group at NewGlobe is responsible for our overall direction in education service, designing our verbal and visual brand, communicating our work internally and externally, providing insight into the ecosystems within which we work, measuring the impact of our programs, engaging our government partners in programming, ensuring regulatory compliance, and expanding the reach of our services into new geographies. Creative, Public Relations, Insights, Measurement & Evaluation, Policy & Partnerships, and New Opportunities are all departments within the Strategy Group. Collaboration between and coordination of each of these department’s functions is critical to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country.
Policy and Partnerships Department
The Policy & Partnerships team (P&P) leads the NewGlobe movement to transform the lives of millions of children through education. We lead pioneering efforts to revitalize Government-led delivery of education across the world. We engage with visionary political and Government leadership to help shape policy, strengthen delivery and impact complex education systems through public private partnerships. We also engage with other dynamic influencers (NGO, donors, think-tanks and academicians) to unlock news ways of partnering to make high-quality education accessible to every child in underserved communities.
About the role
As the Government Relations Manager, you will help NewGlobe meet legislative goals by creating policy proposals and working with government agencies. You are on top of research on government policies and laws, manage internal and external communication and have a large resource base of personnel in the public sector.
What You Will Do
- Fostering the NewGlobe brand amongst government circles through advocacy and public relations.
- Conduct research and monitor legislation. You are also responsible for tracking happenings within the government that could affect NewGlobe. Proactively researching policies to see what changes could be advantageous and which trends might negatively impact us in the future.
- Conducting both internal and external communications to ensure message continuity. Prepare reports and presentations to deliver within NewGlobe organization and externally. You will also represent the organization at industry forums and events.
- Recruiting champions for NewGlobe at Federal, State and Local Government levels.
- Managing relationship with key stakeholders and Ministry parastatals at the Federal, State and Local Government level
- Documenting and managing all government regulations around education to ensure compliance.
- Oversee the registration and approval process of NewGlobe owned schools in various states
- Identifying partnership opportunities for NewGlobe to work with Local, State and Federal Government,
What You Should Have
- 8+ years’ experience working in a similar role the bulk of which should have been with the private sector but closely liaising with the government on development projects.
- A deep understanding of how the different levels of the government work and how policies are advocated and formulated
- Bachelor Degree with superior academic performance
- Master’s Degree is an added advantage
- Roll call of contacts within all levels of government in Nigeria
- Prior experience within a fast-paced, metric driven consulting or educational organization
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills are required
- Ability to multitask and execute on various projects
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network in Nigeria from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience,
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.