Position: Internal Auditor
Company: Leadway Assurance
Reports To: Head of Audit/Associate Director
Department: Internal Audit
Job Purpose Statement
The role works with the Internal Audit team to position IA as the third line of defense, providing assurance functions to both internal and external clients as the need arises.
Provide support to the internal audit team to add value, improve the company’s operation, and help to accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
These objectives will be achieved through effective:
- Monthly review of Management Accounts
- Quarterly internal audit returns to NAICOM
- Review of branch business performance and operational excellence
- Review of subsidiaries’ operations
- Review of the Enterprise Risk Management Framework
- Compliance Audit ( including AML/CFT Audit)
- Customer Service Audit
- Human Resource Audit
- Health & Safety Audit
- Special Audit and Investigation
- Third-party confirmation
Key Accountabilities (Duties and Responsibilities)
- Ensure that figures in the management account are accurate, complete, and presented in accordance with the applicable IFRS standards.
- Review LAC investment guidelines to ensure consistency with regulatory requirements on investment activities.
- Ensure investment reports/transactions are accurate, reasonable, properly recognized, and complete.
Internal business processes (53%)
- To provide assurance to management on the efficiency and effectiveness of all aspects of the company’s processes, adequacy of control, and compliance with relevant regulations.
- Carry out an independent appraisal of the efficiency and effectiveness of all aspects of the company’s processes and controls.
- To ensure that the company’s activities align with the established policies and procedures and the main objectives of its incorporation.
- To ensure subsidiaries’ operations are in accordance with relevant policies and procedures and transactions are accurate, complete, recognized, and presented in the FS in accordance with relevant standards.
- To ensure the audit work plan is executed as planned.
- To ensure work done is appropriately and completely documented.
- To ensure prompt closure of identified exceptions
- Update and report to management and the board based on the resolution of issues in ML at the MANCOM/BOARD meetings held.
- Foster no surprises for management and the audit committee by ensuring that management and the audit committee are kept abreast of governance, risk, and compliance issues.
- To provide assurance to concerned third parties on the authenticity of documents issued by Leadway to its customers.
Learning and growth(12%)
- Have a knowledge-sharing culture that encourages the IA team to work, collaborate and also execute a training session where the IA team is educated and shares knowledge.
- Create career maps with appropriate training programs that ensure enhanced capacity with relevant skills and knowledge within and outside the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from a recognized university (business-related preferred).
- Professional Qualifications (ICAN, ACCA)
- A Master’s Degree provides an added advantage.
Desired work experience and skills:
- 3-5 years of work experience, 3 of which must be in risk, audit, and control roles.
- Leadership: Have strong leadership qualities to drive excellent execution of audits and monitor performance.
- Ethical-Fairness, sincerity, and honesty
- Open-mindedness: Willingness to consider alternative ideas
- Observant: Actively observing the surroundings
- Versatile: Able to adapt to different situations
- Detail-oriented: very persistent and focused on objectives.
- Decisiveness: Able to reach timely conclusions based on analysis
- Self-reliance: able to act independently while working with others
- Collaboration-Effectively interacts with team members
- Communication: Able to easily express opinions and give a concise report.
- Critical thinking-Applies process analysis, business intelligence, and problem-solving techniques
The LEADWAY Group is one of Nigeria’s foremost and largest non-banking financial services providers, with a reputation for customer-centricity, operational excellence, and outstanding business performance.
As a group, our products cut across different financial services specialties, including insurance (life and non-life), pension fund administration, health management, asset management, wills, and trusts management service, etc.
Leadway enjoys the patronage of both individual and corporate clients spanning all the major industries, including construction and engineering, manufacturing, oil & gas, shipping, aviation, government agencies, federal and state ministries, and other parastatals.